Tuesday 23 November 2010

Painting with powders...

Close up of Powder Painting.
So this week........Ive gone back to the board. (partly because Im planning a big piece over the next few weeks and I need to save my money for binder etc)
Last week there was debate about if I should pull back and mute my colours. This was said because the actions/reactions of the paint itself were said to be interesting in themselves without the distraction of bright colours.....
I personally think that the bright colours contribute hugely to my work..and by abstracting the colour, your missing the point really.
But anyway, taking some of these points onboard, I thought it could be interesting to do an experimental piece by taking all of the bright/fluorescent pigments I have been using and layer them together to become more muted by themselves.
The point of this exercise is also to explore the ideas of layering...
I began by painting a large wooden board white. I then place dry pigment powder on top of this and paint over it with a light wash of white..trapping the colour inside.
This is repeated over and over with different colours.

Base: Starting Point....






Layer 1 (Florescent yellow)


Layer 10

Layer 20



Layer 30
Layer 40
Layer 50

Layer 55

Layer 65
Layer 79
Layer 87

Layer 93
Layer 100.

1 comment:

  1. These are really beautiful, you have some patience taking note of each layer!!

    ReplyDelete